TextMagic uses a Tier 1 direct connection to deliver your messages to North America and Puerto Rico using the local dedicated numbers and toll-free numbers.
Before you begin sending messages to North America and Puerto Rico, please see the following answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Numbers for sending text messages to the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico
Sending messages from a Sender ID (name of your company) or your own mobile number is not supported. Sending text messages to the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico is only allowed from TextMagic virtual numbers.
|Feature||Local number||Toll-free number|
|Area codes||All US/Canada/Puerto Rico area codes||Toll-free number area codes|
|Daily limit||Max 500 messages a day||Unlimited number of messages (except Canada)|
|Sending speed||Max 1 message / sec||Max 30 messages/ sec (except Canada)|
|Message length||160 characters / message||918 characters / message (except Canada)|
|Use case||Suitable for two-way communication||Suitable for alerts and notifications (except Canada)|
To send person-to-person text messages to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico we recommend you buy a toll-free number, because one toll-free number can be used in all three countries. The same does not apply for the local numbers, as you have to buy a separate local number for all three countries.
What type of messages can I send to North America and Puerto Rico via TextMagic?
Real 'person-to-person' traffic - messages that require responses - must be sent from a local number. If you send over 500 text messages per day, local carriers can block your messages and dedicated numbers without prior notice.
One-way alerts and notifications must be sent from a toll-free number. There is no daily limit of messages when sending from a toll-free number.
Marketing campaigns must be sent from a short code, which TextMagic does not offer.
How many characters can I include in a text message?
Your message can include a maximum of 160 standard characters, including spaces, if you use a local number. If the message is longer, all SMS parts (153 characters) will be delivered separately.
If you use a toll-free number the maximum length of your messages is 918 characters.
What do different delivery statuses mean?
The following delivery statuses are available in North America:
- Delivered: The text message has been sent and the recipient’s mobile operator received it. Please note that carriers do not provide us withfinal handset delivery receipts.
- Accepted: We are processing your messages. If you submit a group message, it may be sent after a small delay because we can only forward one SMS at a time from one dedicated number to a mobile operator.
- Failed: The local mobile operator failed to receive a message from TextMagic.
- Rejected: The mobile operator or TextMagic rejected the text message.
The most common reasons for rejection are:
- The recipient has opted out from your communications
- You do not have a local dedicated number subscription
I have multiple team members who want to send messages to North America and Puerto Rico using TextMagic. What setup would you recommend?
You have two options:
- Share one account/create agents and send messages from one virtual number
- Create sub-accounts with unique virtual numbers
Learn how to invite or import team members to TextMagic.
We recommend using the Web App to send and receive text messages. Our character calculator will automatically show you if you exceed the maximum message length.
Does TextMagic offer short codes, keywords or auto-responders?
TextMagic does not currently offer short codes for sending marketing messages.
You can apply for a keyword (for free) and create an automation rule for the incoming message.
Some useful links to TextMagic Web App information: